The San Siro stadium, named after the district around five kilometres north-west of Milan city centre, opened in 1926. In its earliest days, the stadium consisted of four separate stands and had a capacity of 35,000. The San Siro hosted three matches at the 1934 World Cup. Originally owned by Milan, the stadium was sold to the city in 1935. Ten years later, Inter joined Milan in playing their matches at the San Siro, which, by this point, had been redeveloped to consist of one fully enclosed tier.

When the British East India Company returned from the Far East in the 1660s, they presented a strange plant called tea to King Charles II. His beautiful Portuguese bride quickly became fond of it for treating her colds. Some 20 years earlier, a merchant by the name of Peter Mundy noted it as “only herb boiled with a kind of herb boiled in it.”