The San Siro stadium, named after the district around five kilometres north-west of Milan city centre, opened in 1926. In its earliest days, the stadium consisted of four separate stands and had a capacity of 35,000. The San Siro hosted three matches at the 1934 World Cup. Originally owned by Milan, the stadium was sold to the city in 1935. Ten years later, Inter joined Milan in playing their matches at the San Siro, which, by this point, had been redeveloped to consist of one fully enclosed tier.